All notable changes to this project will be documented in this file.
The format is based on Keep a Changelog
and this project adheres to Semantic Versioning.
[0.3.3] - 2018-02-18
- Dynamic reconfiguration, which allows reloading the configuration file to make changes during runtime by sending a
SIGHUP signal (note: this only works with
-useconffile and not
-useconf and currently reconfiguring TUN/TAP is not supported)
- Support for building Yggdrasil as an iOS or Android framework if the appropriate tools (e.g.
gobind + SDKs) are available
- Connection contexts used for TCP connections which allow more exotic socket options to be set, e.g.
- Reusing the multicast socket to allow multiple running Yggdrasil instances without having to disable multicast
- Allowing supported Macs to peer with other nearby Macs that aren’t even on the same Wi-Fi network using AWDL
- Flexible logging support, which allows for logging at different levels of verbosity
- Switch changes to improve parent selection
- Node configuration is now stored centrally, rather than having fragments/copies distributed at startup time
- Significant refactoring in various areas, including for link types (TCP, AWDL etc), generic streams and adapters
- macOS builds through CircleCI are now 64-bit only
systemd service now in
ReadTimeout option is now deprecated
[0.3.2] - 2018-12-26
- The admin socket is now multithreaded, greatly improving performance of the crawler and allowing concurrent lookups to take place
- The ability to hide NodeInfo defaults through either setting the
NodeInfoPrivacy option or through setting individual
NodeInfo attributes to
armhf build now targets ARMv6 instead of ARMv7, adding support for Raspberry Pi Zero and other older models, amongst others
- DHT entries are now populated using a copy in memory to fix various potential DHT bugs
- DHT traffic should now throttle back exponentially to reduce idle traffic
- Adjust how nodes are inserted into the DHT which should help to reduce some incorrect DHT traffic
- In TAP mode, the NDP target address is now correctly used when populating the peer MAC table. This fixes serious connectivity problems when in TAP mode, particularly on BSD
- In TUN mode, ICMPv6 packets are now ignored whereas they were incorrectly processed before
[0.3.1] - 2018-12-17
- Build name and version is now imprinted onto the binaries if available/specified during build
- Ability to disable admin socket with
AF_UNIX domain sockets for the admin socket
- Cache size restriction for crypto-key routes
NodeInfo support for specifying node information, e.g. node name or contact, which can be used in network crawls or surveys
getNodeInfo request added to admin socket
- Adds flags
build script for specifying
LDFLAGS or whether to keep symbol/DWARF tables
AdminListen in newly generated config is now
- Formatting of
getRoutes in the admin socket has been improved
- Debian package now adds
yggdrasil group to assist with
AF_UNIX admin socket permissions
- Crypto, address and other utility code refactored into separate Go packages
- Switch peer convergence is now much faster again (previously it was taking up to a minute once the peering was established)
yggdrasilctl is now less prone to crashing when parameters are specified incorrectly
- Panic fixed when
InterfacePeers was commented out
[0.3.0] - 2018-12-12
- Crypto-key routing support for tunnelling both IPv4 and IPv6 over Yggdrasil
- Add advanced
SwitchOptions in configuration file for tuning the switch
dhtPing to the admin socket to aid in crawling the network
- New macOS .pkgs built automatically by CircleCI
- Add Dockerfile to repository for Docker support
-json command line flag for generating and normalising configuration in plain JSON instead of HJSON
- Build name and version numbers are now imprinted onto the build, accessible through
yggdrasil -version and
- Add ability to disable admin socket by setting
yggdrasilctl now tries to look for the default configuration file to find
-endpoint is not specified
yggdrasilctl now returns more useful logging in the event of a fatal error
- Switched to Chord DHT (instead of Kademlia, although still compatible at the protocol level)
AdminListen option and
yggdrasilctl now default to
unix:///var/run/yggdrasil.sock on BSDs, macOS and Linux
- Cleaned up some of the parameter naming in the admin socket
- Latency-based parent selection for the switch instead of uptime-based (should help to avoid high latency links somewhat)
- Real peering endpoints now shown in the admin socket
getPeers call to help identify peerings
- Reuse the multicast port on supported platforms so that multiple Yggdrasil processes can run
yggdrasilctl now has more useful help text (with
-help or when no arguments passed)
- Memory leaks in the DHT fixed
- Crash fixed where the ICMPv6 NDP goroutine would incorrectly start in TUN mode
- Removing peers from the switch table if they stop sending switch messages but keep the TCP connection alive
[0.2.7] - 2018-10-13
- Session firewall, which makes it possible to control who can open sessions with your node
getSwitchQueues to admin socket
InterfacePeers for configuring static peerings via specific network interfaces
- More output shown in
- FreeBSD service script in
- CircleCI builds are now built with Go 1.11 instead of Go 1.9
- Race condition in the switch table, reported by trn
- Debug builds are now tested by CircleCI as well as platform release builds
- Port number fixed on admin graph from unknown nodes
[0.2.6] - 2018-07-31
- Configurable TCP timeouts to assist in peering over Tor/I2P
- Prefer IPv6 flow label when extending coordinates to sort backpressure queues
arm64 builds through CircleCI
- Sort dot graph links by integer value
[0.2.5] - 2018-07-19
yggdrasilctl less case sensitive
- More verbose TCP disconnect messages
- Fixed debug builds
- Cap maximum MTU on Linux in TAP mode
- Process successfully-read TCP traffic before checking for / handling errors (fixes EOF behavior)
[0.2.4] - 2018-07-08
- Support for UNIX domain sockets for the admin socket using
- Centralised platform-specific defaults
- Backpressure tuning, including reducing resource consumption
- macOS local ping bug, which previously prevented you from pinging your own
utun adapter’s IPv6 address
[0.2.3] - 2018-06-29
- Begin keeping changelog (incomplete and possibly inaccurate information before this point).
- Build RPMs in CircleCI using alien. This provides package support for Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS and other RPM-based distributions.
- Local backpressure improvements.
key in admin API for simplicity.
- Session cleanup.
[0.2.2] - 2018-06-21
yggdrasilconf utility for testing with the
- Add a randomized retry delay after TCP disconnects, to prevent synchronization livelocks.
- Update build script to strip by default, which significantly reduces the size of the binary.
- Add debug
-d and UPX
-u flags to the
- Start pprof in debug builds based on an environment variable (e.g.
PPROFLISTEN=localhost:6060), instead of a flag.
- Fix typo in big-endian BOM so that both little-endian and big-endian UTF-16 files are detected correctly.
[0.2.1] - 2018-06-15
- The address range was moved from
200::/7. This range was chosen as it is marked as deprecated. The change prevents overlap with other ULA privately assigned ranges.
- UTF-16 detection conversion for configuration files, which can particularly be a problem on Windows 10 if a configuration file is generated from within PowerShell.
- Fixes to the Debian package control file.
- Fixes to the launchd service for macOS.
- Fixes to the DHT and switch.
[0.2.0] - 2018-06-13
- Exchange version information during connection setup, to prevent connections with incompatible versions.
- Wire format changes (backwards incompatible).
- Less maintenance traffic per peer.
- Exponential back-off for DHT maintenance traffic (less maintenance traffic for known good peers).
- Iterative DHT (added some time between v0.1.0 and here).
- Use local queue sizes for a sort of local-only backpressure routing, instead of the removed bandwidth estimates, when deciding where to send a packet.
- UDP peering, this may be added again if/when a better implementation appears.
- Per peer bandwidth estimation, as this has been replaced with an early local backpressure implementation.
[0.1.0] - 2018-02-01
- Adopt semantic versioning.
- Wire format changes (backwards incompatible).
- Many other undocumented changes leading up to this release and before the next one.
[0.0.1] - 2017-12-28
- First commit.
- Initial public release.